What do you do with your blog post once you have written it? You have taken the time to write a post, now how do you to get people to read it? There is no point is simply HOPING that people other than your close friends will magically find it. You need to make it easy for other people to find your blog.
So here are 5 Easy steps:
1. Make your blog post easy to share
I am still amazed how many blogs don’t make it easy for people to share their blog posts on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and Google+. There are so many plugins that make it easy to add a Twitter and Facebook buttons to your blog site. They are free and easy to install to you blog. I will go into more detail about plugins for WordPress later this month.
2. Have a Call to action
Make sure that you have a call to action at the bottom of your blog. What do you want people to do when they have finished reading your blog? Do you want them to leave a comment, read another of your blog posts or share the post with their friends? It helps to be very specific and tell people exactly what you would like them to do (in a nice, friendly and polite way, of course).
3. Share with your tribe
You have loyal friends and readers, make sure that they know that you just published a blog post. Everyone has busy lives, you can’t expect people to know about it even if you have published it on Facebook.
If you are doing the Ultimate Blog Challenge with me and it is not too late to start now if you aren’t yet.
- Tell your friends and email list about the Challenge and ask them for their support by commenting and sharing your posts.
- Let them know that you will be sending them weekly updates of you posts or that they can subscribe to your blog directly if you have already set this up.
- Send them a weekly update of your posts with links directly to the post so that they can read them easily.
- At the end of the Ultimate Blog Challenge, thank them for their support
4. Share on Social Media
Here are some places to share your Blog Posts:
- You can post your blog post to Twitter more than once. Try to think of something fresh to say about it each time.
- Make sure you use the #blogboost hashtag if you are taking part in the Ultimate Blog Challenge. Use this hashtag to find fellow bloggers on the challenge and share their posts and add comments too. You will make good friends this way.
- Post it as an update.
- Are there any relevant groups that your blog post might be worth sharing to?
- You can add a link to a relevant post into your LinkedIn Profile using edit Profile
- If you have a Google+ account share your blog post with your circles.
- I tend to make my blog posts public so that anyone can read them.
- By adding circles of people, it means those people people will get a notification of your post too.
If you are going to only use one Bookmarking Site, you really need to consider StumbleUpon. Posts have a greater longevity on this site than they do on Twitter and Facebook. We are talking days versus hours.
Don’t forget your call to action in your updates. Yes, you need to be specific on Social Media too!
5. Social Bookmarking
If you are serious about blogging there are so many sites dedicated to sharing great articles and it is worth getting your posts published on these. Now before you get overwhelmed with all the sites, there is a way to automate the process so that you don’t spend hours posting. I use OnlyWire which has doubled my visitors to my website since I started using it.
- OnlyWire is free to use as a trial for the first 300 submissions, If you set up 10 sites, the free trial will allow you to share 30 blog posts for free. (I have upgraded mine because Iit saves me so much time and I use it a lot)
- OnlyWire keeps all your social media sites in one place so that with click of a button you can publish to 47 sites at once
- You will need to register for each of the Social Media sites and I would recommend that you only do a few at a time so that you don’t give up. It is a pain, but worth it in the end.
- I tend to post manually to sites like Facebook and Twitter that I am very active on so that I can write more personalised updates. I would recommend you post manually to Facebook to increase your visibilty and improve your Edgerank.
- It is a great opportunity to be exposed to a wider audience
Now for my call to action:
I would love to support you if you are doing the Ultimate Blog Challenge too. So can you help me by posting your blog posts on the Social Media for Newbies Page so that I can find your blog posts easily, thank you.
If you are not doing the Challenge, I would love you to show your support by commenting, sharing or any other way that you choose. I will need all the encouragement I can get to do the 31 days, thank you.