Did you know that LinkedIn makes it easy to find articles and news that are relevant to you? In fact, they present it to you on a plate.
Have you noticed the LinkedIn Today on your Home Page? Are you using LinkedIn Today to help you?
Just below your update box, you have the top articles that are currently being read and shared on LinkedIn within your industry and among your peers.
LinkedIn will look at:
- the industry that you are in
- who you are connected to
- how often articles are been shared, liked or commented on
- which recent articles your direct connection have shared
How to use LinkedIn Today
Tailor your LinkedIn Today
The first step is to make sure that headlines you get, are tailor-made for you.
By clicking on the “See all Top Headlines for You” this is what you see:
By clicking on the “See all” for either the Top Sources or Suggested industries, this is what you’ll see:
You can choose which sources and industries are relevant to you specifically by clicking the Follow button.
Read the Headlines
It is a very easy way to keep up to speed with what is happening in your industry. It is worth creating a daily habit for yourself. Even if it is just read one article a day!
Comment on the article
Very few people leave comments on articles and there is a very good reason why you should consider doing it.
- It’s an opportunity to form a relationship with the author
- It’s an opportunity to show that you are a thought leader (although you have to say more than “Nice post”!) A thoughtful considered response is ideal if you have the time.
- Other people can read your comment so it increases your online visibility
- Most comments you leave require a website address. This creates a backlink to your website
- Each comment can be found by search engines. It gives people who are searching for your name, a more rounded view of you.
Caution: Be aware that if you write a ranting comment on someone’s post it will reflect badly on you.
Share the article
Share the post you have read on LinkedIn, adding a comment to your update.
- By sharing good quality content, you get associated with the content.
- You don’t have to write everything yourself.
- People appreciate people who share good sources of news.
- It is an easy way to update your LinkedIn Profile
- Which in turn gives you better visibility on LinkedIn
Simple really, isn’t it? Let me know if you have been using LinkedIn Today by leaving a comment below.