When was the last time you updated your LinkedIn Profile? If you haven’t updated your profile recently, I suggest you go look at it today. In February, LinkedIn introduced a new section to your profile called Skills & Expertise. In the last couple of weeks LinkedIn has added the ability to endorse skills which changes things dramatically. It is really important that you make sure you add the right skills to your profile for the following reasons:
- It allows people to see your skills very quickly
- LinkedIn ranks people they consider influential for a particular skill.
- People can endorse your skills. If you don’t have have the right skills listed, you may be missing out.
- The endorsement of skills will add to your Klout score and social influence.
- It is easier to add an endorsement than to give a written testimonial, so your customers and colleagues are more likely to do it.
What you can do to make sure you get endorsements.
- Make sure you list all your skills that your customers would use. You can have up to 50 and I would recommend you add all the ones that are relevant.
- Use the Skills and Expertise in the “More” section to ensure that you are using terminology that your industry uses (I will explain why in a bit more detail later in this blog post)
- Move your Skills Section higher up in your profile (all you need to do is to click on the panel bar and drag it higher.) This makes your skills more visible and easier to endorse.
- Endorse other people FIRST. When you visit their profile you can either endorse the skills shown at the top of their profile or scroll down to their Skills section.I’m sure you have plenty of people that you would recommend for skills. It alerts them that you can endorse skills. They will feel positive towards you because you have done something nice without being asked. Most people will endorse you back for your skills.
- Tell your customers that LinkedIn has this new feature and that it would be nice if they could add an endorsement for you
How to add Skills
There are two ways to add Skills
- Scroll down to your Skills & Expertise section, click on “Add a skill” and type the skill you want to add.
- Go to the “More” Tab at the top and select Skills & Expertise from the drop down menu. Add one of your skills into the search box section. This will open up the following Page:
The first option allows you to add skills not listed by other LinkedIn users.
- Different countries use different terms, so you need to use the right term for your country.
- You might have a specialist skill that nobody has added yet
- You may be in a niche area and the skill will be recognised by your potential customers.
The second option allows you to find other words and phrases to describe what you do which you may not have thought of before.
- You are allowed up to fifty skills, it is worth finding synonyms.
- It will also give you suggestions of Skills based on your Profile. (Obvious, you need to make sure your Profile is completed thoroughly.)
Have you endorsed people on LinkedIn yet? Help other LinkedIn users to find out about Skills by sharing this post with your friends, thank you.