Do you have a physical location for your business? Do you have customers visiting your business? Do you have a shop or an office or restaurant? Do you know that you could be generating free publicity for your business? Have you started to use Facebook Places yet?
How Facebook Places works
Very simply anyone with a smartphone can check into your location using Facebook Places. This will send an update to their newsfeed so that all their friends can see where they have checked in. If you want to see what Facebook says about places, click here.
Why you should be interested
- There are over 250 million people who use Facebook from their mobile device and they tend to be twice as active as people using their computers.
- The average Facebook user has 130 friends which means that potentially quite a few people will see that your Business is being visited
- People may be checking into your location without you knowing about it.
- Great way to encourage people to visit you
- Free way to create buzz and excitement around your venue
- Easy way to reward existing customers.
How to get a Facebook Place Page
- Find out first if you have a Place Page already – Enter your business name in the Facebook Search box and click on the magnifying glass icon.
You may find that your business already has a Place Page which is because
- Any Business page that was set up as a local business with an address will have been changed to a Place Page
You can tell that your Page is a Place Page because there will be an Place icon in the left hand column and it will show if any people have checked in. When you go to your information page, you will see the Bing Map pin pointing your location.
- Someone may have checked into your location already and then you would have an unclaimed Place Page which looks like this (see below). Wouldn’t you rather have your branding on it?
- No logo
- Bing Map prominant
- Other local places (in this case unclaimed as well)
- If this is your business, click here to claim it. You will be asked to verify that it is your Business.
- If your business appears a number of times as places click on the “report this page” and choose the “duplicate of another place” option.
What happens if you don’t have a Place?
To create a new place, follow these steps:
- Access the Places application on your Mobile.
- Click “Check In.”
- Click the “Add” button to the left of the Places Names search box.
- Enter a name for the new Place as well as an optional description of it. Then, click the “Add” button at the bottom right of the page.
- Click the “Check In” button to share your visit.
Check In Deals are available to all businesses in the US and to business that are working directly with a Facebook representative in the UK, Canada, Spain, Italy, Germany or France. They will be rolled out to everyone in time. I will cover check in deals in a separate blog post. In the meantime…..
- Encourage your customers to check in to your venue. I am sure you can come up with something creative!
- Educate your staff about asking people to check into your Facebook Place and let them know about deals.
- Get in the habit of checking into your venue and encourage your staff to do the same
Let me know if you found this useful?