…Even if someone likes your Facebook Page, they may never see your Page’s status updates in their newsfeed.
Did you know that?
Unless your Business Page has a good Edgerank, it may not appear. So if your fans have never interacted with your Page other than to like it, it may never show on their News Feeds. Facebook uses an algorithm to decide what is a relevant story for you to see.
What is Edgerank?
Basically it is an algorithm that Facebook uses to decide which posts you are more likely to see. So you are most likely to see Pages with a high Edgerank and unlikely to see Pages with a low Edgerank.
The Edgerank score is decided by
- The number of times you interact with the other person or page
- how important that post is by the amount of comments and likes it gets
- how recently it has been posted
So how can increase your visibility of your Facebook Page?
1. Post manually
Facebook gives a higher rank to updates posted on Facebook than via a third party application like Hootsuite, Tweetdeck or Networked Blogs. If you update your Facebook page automatically with Twitter, you are also going to have a lower ranking.
2. Post regularly
The frequency of posting will depend on the nature of your business. The biggest reason that most people unlike a page is because of too frequent posting, yet if you don’t post updates regularly, your page will have low visiblilty. You will need to test your audience.
Across the board it seems that 5-10 post a week is the optimum posting. Mari Smith who has over 40 000 fans has found her optimum posting is 2-3 times a day spread out throughout the day. When she posts more, her number of unlikes increases.
As a small business you may want to set a goal of posting at least once a day. If you post more frequently make sure there are several hours between postings.
3. Encourage interaction
Every time someone interacts with your Page it makes your Page visible to their friends. How many questions do you ask on your Facebook Page? When last did you do a quick poll? When last did you encourage your fans to post or comment on your Page?
Tips for asking questions
- Make the questions easy to answer. If you expect your fans to write essays, it is unlikely that you will get much response. Ask questions that need a one word or simple phrase as an anwer.
- Think about what is in it for them. Asking people to share their website or Page or blog generally will get a response. CAU, a new restaurant which has just opened in Guildford runs a competition where you have to find the cow each week and photograph it to get a chance of getting a free meal for two. Even though I haven’t rushed around Guildford looking for it, it still keeps me amused as to where the cow is going to turn up.
- Respond to people who answer the questions
4. Vary content
Variety is the spice of life so make sure you keep your content interesting and varied.
- Use Questions,
- post videos,
- interesting and relevant links
- post audio to your Page for free and easily using an tool such as Audioboo
- Something silly or entertaining.
5. Talk about your Page
It is amazing how many Page owners expect people to know about their Page without telling them about it. Make sure you tell your customers that have a Business Page by
- Adding it to your website
- adding it to your blog
- adding it to your signature
- Mention it in newsletters
- have it printed on your business card and literature
Promote your Page on your Profile by tagging your page, use @YourPageName to create a hyperlink to your Page.
Tweet about it
Tell people on LinkedIn about it. You can have three websites on LinkedIn, one of them can be your Facebook Page.
Tell people on Google Plus about it.
In fact, get into the habit of telling everyone about it.
What tips would you recommend to improve your visibility?