The one thing that is certain about Facebook is that it will change again. Here are five recent changes you might have missed.
1. Your default email on your Profile has been changed
If you look in the about section of your Profile, you will see that your email has been changed to a Facebook email.
- It doesn’t mean that your notifications won’t be going to your normal email. (To see which email this is; go to the Settings part which is at the top right hand corner of the blue bar.)
- To see the visibility settings or to change your email in the About section (it’s below your profile picture) and edit Contact Info.
- The Facebook email gets delivered to your Facebook inbox
I have left mine as it is and here’s why: My previous email was hidden and the settings for the Facebook email are so that it’s only visible to friends. Facebook Friends can inmail me anyway.
2. Ability to schedule posts
This is a brilliant addition for Facebook Page owners.
When you click on the clock, it will give you the option of adding a year.
- Add the year, then you get the option of the month.
- Add the month and you will get the option of the day
- Add the date and you will get the option of the time
Okay, it is a bit cumbersome, but it does allow you to pre-schedule your posts directly within Facebook. Facebook tends to give more visibility to posts that have been generated directly in Facebook.
In the past, when you made someone an administrator of your Page, you gave them complete access to everything including being able to delete the Page. Now you can now allow people to have permission to do certain functions only.
Choose between Manager, Content Creator, Moderator, Advertiser, Insight Analyst.
4. Editing Comments
Have you ever commented on something, posted it and then realised you had spelled something wrong or left out a word? Previously, your only choice was to delete it and start again. Now you can edit your comments.
- Hover your cursor over the comment
- You will see a pencil appear in the right hand corner of the comment
- Click on the pencil and edit
If only they would add this function to editing an post or update!
Facebook have added something called Voice which will make things easier for Page Owners and especially people who have multiple Pages.
When you visit your Page, you may have notice a blue bar at the top. Your default setting for the Page will show as the voice that you use on the Page. For example, on Social Media for Newbies, I always post as the Page. However there are other Facebook Pages that I will always post as Nicky Kriel.
This bar makes it incredibly easy to switch between commenting as the Page and commenting as yourself.
So for example: As an administrator of the Toastmasters International UK & Ireland Page, I need to be mindful that I am representing Toastmasters International, yet as Nicky Kriel, I can express my opinion as a member and talk about my local clubs.
It use to be possible to use both voices, but took a bit of fiddling. Now it is easy to click between representing your Profile and your Page.
Let me know if you like the new changes. Which ones do you think will be useful to you?