This function works in the similar way that it does on Facebook and Twitter. It notifies people that they are being talked about.
How it works
From your home page or when you are commenting on someone one’s update:
- Add @ and start typing a person’s name.
- It can be either their first name or surname
- Choose the person from the drop down menu
- This creates a hyperlink to their profile
- You can only tag someone if you are already connected to them or they have commented on the same update.
- You can mention companies too.
- You let people know when you are talking about them so that they can respond
- The person mentioned will be get a notification and an email
- You find out when people are mentioning you and you can respond to their update
- Companies will know when you mention them
- Your name, photo and headline might pop up in the drop down menu when someone is mentioning a person with a similar name. This keeps you top of mind.
- Companies will be more visible
- Potential for people who tend to spam to tag random people to updates.
- More email notifications from LinkedIn (although you can change the email settings)
How to change your email notifications for mentions
- Go into Settings
- Choose the Communication tab and the “set the frequency of emails” option
- Edit the messages by LinkedIn by clicking on the pencil
- Change the frequency of mentions
I personally would not recommend you stop email notification unless you get mentioned a lot. It is good to be able to respond quickly when someone talks about you.
I think this is a great feature that LinkedIn has added, what do you think?